Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Psalm 16

Somebody had to take the picture. Noah, what are you doing?

Psalm 16 (NASB) 1 Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You. 2 I said to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You." 3 As for the saints who are in the earth, they are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight. 4 The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied; I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood, nor will I take their names upon my lips. 5 The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. 6 The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. 7 I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. 8 I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. 9 Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will dwell securely. 10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. 11 You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Have you set the Lord continually before you? I confess that I have struggled with this, but look what David says happens when he does this. 1) he will not be shaken 2) his heart is glad. 3) his glory rejoices. 4) his flesh will dwell securely. What does it mean to set the Lord continually before me? What does the apostle Paul mean when he says pray without ceasing in 1 Thessalonians 5:17? To have the mindset of the presence of Almighty God and the lifestyle of prayer through which you act on knowing He is there.
I've heard people say "I just need to find my path in life". Here David says that God will make that known to me. Read verse 11 again, and again. Do we like pleasures? Yes, we do. Do we think they are found in God's right hand. Be honest, that is probably not the first thing that comes to your mind. Change your mindset, change your lifestyle. Change is the key word when you choose to follow Christ. He will change you. Titus 3:5,6 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior. Read and open your heart. May God richly pour out the Holy spirit on you today.

No comments: